Happy Tuesday, friends!

With all the of Fall hubbub going on, I wanted to break up my posts to include a DIY project that isn’t necessarily Autumn-related.

This is one of my favorite projects I’ve finished thus far. It was practically at no cost, and it completely changed the atmosphere of our living room. Before, there was a modern dome light that you would see in many renovated houses. Now, there hangs an eye-catching chandelier that has personality, fits our aesthetic, and gives off great light.

This brass chandelier was a gift from my grandmother. I did a lot of research to determine prices on similar chandeliers, and fixtures such as this can easily extend well into the hundreds of dollars. I wanted to take this dated piece and transform it into a functional, yet aesthetically pleasing central light for our living room. Though I wasn’t wild about the chandelier prior, I wanted to emphasize it’s strengths: the focal points of this fixture are without a doubt the glass dangles. I knew that with a bit of love, this piece would give off the romanticized, elegant feel that I was trying to accomplish.

 

This is what the chandelier looked like before I began the project. At this point in the process, I had already begun removing some of the glass dangles to make the piece easier to handle.

This was the most tedious aspect of the project: removing every individual glass piece. Be careful during this step as to not misplace or distort the integrity of the glass hangers. I would suggest making a pile per each “type” of glass dangle on the chandelier. Mine had nearly 5 separate types of dangles – organization is key here, and if you have kiddos or pets, be sure to keep out of reach!

A couple of tips for painting: I insert old, burnt-out light bulbs in the sockets to prevent paint from getting into the bulb receptors. I’ve also seen several bloggers use painter’s tape – in my experience, you can get a much cleaner finish that is as-close-as-can-be if you sacrifice a few bulbs worth disposing. I then hung my chandelier on a tree limb which allowed me to work it from any angle. With so much surface area to cover, this really makes your job a lot simpler. (Full disclosure: I got quite a bit of paint on the tree itself…)

Hallelujiah for this beautiufl invention! I knew the only thing that would cover the brass and not wipe off was chalk paint but I needed it in spray form. Thank goodness for Home Depot. They have the Rustoleum brand in several colors. I did not check anywhere else to see if they had something similar but this guy worked like a charm. I did do 2-3 coats to really cover it and to make sure I didn't miss any spots. The best thing since sliced bread: spray paint. I knew that the only paint that would fully cover the brass while offering durability was chalk paint, and (thanks to Home Depot) I was able to find it in a spray can. Keep in mind that they have this particular Rust-Oleum brand in several colors.

This was after my first coat. 2nd coat was finding spots I missed.

In the end, I finished the chandelier with around 2-3 coats to ensure coverage and consistency.

After painting, I re-attached all of the dangles, and replaced the old fixture with the finished piece!

 

Things I would do differently:
I wish I had done some brown antique wax on the chandlier to rough it up a bit. It looks very romantic in the space, and I love how it looks against the brick – however, it does feel a bit too “clean” for my taste. Other than that I was extremely pleased with the final product. For this project, I spent around $40 total – I’m definitely feeling thrifty with the hundreds of dollars I was able to save!

Written by madisonnye01@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *